My Top / Favorite Articles From 2018
A 2018 Retrospective
This past year, I wrote and published over 200 articles on Medium, mostly in the categories of writing, books, health (mental and relational), and faith/relationships.
So as a final goodbye to 2018, I’ve gone back and picked out a few of my favorites to share. These are articles either I’ve found personally meaningful, or readers have expressed particular interest in.
- Because all writers face this problem sooner or later 😉
5 Ways to Come Up With Ideas When You Have Nothing to Write About
If you want to be a serious writer, you have to write. A lot.
- The gateway to great article writing.
How to Write Irresistible Headlines That Entice, Intrigue, and Insist on Being Read!
“Don’t judge a book by its cover,” they say.
- Derek Halpern and Ryan Holiday’s techniques for writing well.
Good Writing is Not Written, It’s Assembled
2 Powerful Writing Lessons from Ryan Holiday and Derek Halpern
- Lessons learned going from 0 to 100 mph as a writer in 1 year.
Want to be a Great Writer? Then Don’t Focus on Writing. (Do This Instead)
“Work according to Program and not according to mood. Stop at the appointed time!” — Henry Miller
- For those new to the wonderful world of Medium, or those who want to improve faster.
Thoughts on Health and Personal Development
- The biggest struggle we all have that causes us significant avoidable pain.
The Secret of Eliminating Unnecessary Pain
Sometimes, pain is necessary: Mothers endure the pain of childbirth to have children, athletes endure the pain of…
- Lessons learned from my grandparents
Secrets of Eternal Youth From a 92-Year Old Two-Time Cancer Survivor
Don’t just live long, live WELL.
- Because mental illness is on the rise and more and more people are going to need the assistance mentioned in this article.
The Single Most Powerful and Effective Way to Change…Someone Else
How to save people from themselves
- One of the most personal essays, based on real-life experiences from both sides of the table
How to be a Life-Saving Friend to Someone Struggling With a Mental Illness
Lessons learned from both sides of the table
- There’s no need to fear aging — instead, we can embrace it!
8 Reasons Why Being Old Is AWESOME
Are you afraid of growing old? Don’t be. Youth isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
- A true story about a drug-and-sex-addicted prodigal who made a 180-degree turn gives all of us hope that we can do the same.
On Faith & Love
- The story of one of my personal heroes. And the “Spiderman” part is not clickbait.
Spiderman Was Real: And He Saved 75+ Lives During WWII
On courage, integrity, and the ability to transport people in midair
- Methods that have helped me memorize hundreds of verses (and turn some into music!)
7 Simple Ways to Feed Your Spirit by Memorizing Large Chunks of the Bible
What good is bread if you don’t eat it?
- Wrote this because of growing concern over the many dangerously incorrect views of “love” that are being passed off as legitimate.
What You Don’t Know About Love Could Destroy You
4 Things Love is NOT, one thing it IS, and How to Find true love
- Because inaccurate views of Jesus lead to massive misunderstandings among people — Christian and non-Christian alike.
Jesus Was Not Nice — and You Shouldn’t be, Either
The Lamb of God was also known as the Lion of Judah for a reason
- For those who have never read the Bible cover to cover.
The Story of the ENTIRE Bible, Part Two: Detailed Synopsis
A comprehensive summary of all the books in the Bible, novella-length
- A fascinating discussion with a devout Muslim writer
Dear Arooj: Being a true Christian is very hard, but it is worth it
Final thoughts on our conversation regarding the differences between Christianity and Islam’s take on Jesus
- This article triggered some interesting conversations.
Books That Made a Difference in My Life This Year
- Ben Hardy’s bestseller on how to ACTUALLY achieve your goals, without relying on your unreliable willpower.
Willpower Doesn’t Work by Benjamin P. Hardy (BOOK NOTES)
PART 1: YOUR ENVIRONMENT SHAPES YOU
- Darren Hardy’s how-to handbook on the power of small gains over a long time.
How to Make Massive Change In Your Life — The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy (BOOK NOTES)
About The Compound Effect
- Viktor Frankl’s classic Holocaust memoir and explanation of logotherapy, man’s will to meaning.
YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK If You Want To Figure Out Your Unique Purpose — Man’s Search for…
About Man’s Search For Meaning
- Lisa Cron’s brilliant analysis of what makes a story really work, and how to write an effective story of your own.
- Musical poetry
- The first of its kind that I’ve written 😃
- A response to a reader’s question about how to overcome selfishness.
2 Powerful Quotes That Changed My Worldview
This post is for Abinash Dutta, in response to an amazingly insightful comment he left on this piece:
Ready to be a Brilliant Writer?
I’ve created The Brilliant Writer Checklist to help you clarify your message, reach more readers, and change the world with your words.